The origins of the name of the island are lost between reality and legend . Among the most evocative hypothesis is that the name derives from the greek Procida ” prochetai ” ie lying ; In fact, if you look closely at the island’s morphology , we realize that it seems to lie lying and lying in the sea . Still others derive the name from that of a nurse of Enea named Procida , that there was he buried .
The earliest records date back to Procida , according to best evidence , the eighth century A.C. when , from the island of Euboea, the Chalcidians settlers arrived there with their cultural background in art and culture .
E ‘ then the turn of the Romans who preferred to flegree islands to the mainland as a holiday site, as their volcanic nature sore lent itself to the construction of Roman architecture grandeur . OnlyCapri , for its limestone rocks , had the honor to rise to imperial seat .
During the Middle Ages, the island was frequently beaten by Saracen pirates who plundered the inhabitants. Among the most devastating incursions are reminiscent of pirates led by Muslims Barabarossa. And just one of the many Saracen raids is linked to the legend of St. Michael the Archangel, who later became the patron saint of the island. After the raids Saracen coasts of the island filled with watchtowers and typical rural houses scattered inland island and the coastal fishermen were abandoned for the safest promontory of Terra Murata (formerly known as the House Land in this area gathered the houses of Procida to better defend themselves from Saracen raids) that, with its 91 m high, was the only defensible point of the island. Here pocidani Dolbilina the tufa their homes, raised embankments and dug ditches. The economy of the place changed, for defensive needs, from maritime rural. During the day as well, the procidani went to nearby fields for rientrar at sunset or to the sound of the alarm bell. In the Middle Ages, Procida had their feudal lords: Giovanni da Procida from 1210 to 1258, the Cossa 1339-1529 and the d’Avalos 1530 to 1729, which was followed by the Bourbons.
The waters of Procida were also theater, in July 1552 , on a naval expedition during which the Ottomans captured seven galleys to a Neapolitan team to the Andrea Doria orders.
The island passed to the Neapolitan crown in 1644 , was occupied by the British three times : in 1799 , during the Neapolitan Republic ; 1806-1809 in the French period against Joseph Bonaparte and G.Murat and in 1813 during the anti-Napoleonic wars .
The subsequent history of Procida does not follow a particular course , but it is linked mostly to the events of Naples .